What a crazy week! My son turned four and we had three separate celebrations. One on his actual birthday, one at his school, and then a big party with family friends on the weekend (followed the next day by MY birthday)! It's been exhausting! I have several food-related posts and recipes I want to share from his birthday celebrations and I'm going to kick this off with these delicious Apple Banana Cupcakes. I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com (here's the link), I seem to be finding a lot of good recipes there lately! These are kind of like a cupcake/muffin hybrid. I think it's really the frosting that makes them cupcakes, and the frosting is to die for! My inspiration for the frosting came from this recipe and you can find my version below.
Apple Banana Cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup shortening (I used butter)
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I omitted this because I didn't have it on hand)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk (I used powdered buttermilk during the mixing of the dry ingredients and an extra 1/4 cup milk later on)
- 1 cup ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 apples - peeled, cored and shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour 24 muffin cups, or use paper liners. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and buttermilk. Beat in the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Fold in the mashed bananas and shredded apples. Fill each muffin cup half full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2-4 tablespoons powdered sugar (to desired sweetness)
- Dash milk if needed for desired consistency
- Melt butter and allow to cool.
- In your stand mixer bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, and brown sugar. Beat at speed 4-6. When mixture starts to stiffen, stop mixer and add honey.
- Continue to beat and add powdered sugar one tablespoon at a time until light and fluffy.
- Spoon into ziploc bag with your spatula and cut the corner off bag. Pipe onto cupcakes. If you have pastry bags available of course that would work too!