Friday, October 1, 2010

Smoky Chipotle Cheeseburgers with Avacado and Tomatillo

Another Gourmet Magazine recipe winner: Smoky Chipotle Pork Cheeseburgers with Avacado and Tomatillo....yum.  I have to admit, I'm a newbie to ground pork.  A few weeks ago a friend's husband shared a delicious ground pork/turkey combination burger with me and I said "Ground pork?  Really?  Where did you find that?"  Honestly, I'd never even looked for it before.  Then I came across this recipe in Gourmet and I found that ground pork is surprisingly easy to find, wouldn't ya' know, tastes amazing, and has plenty of nutritional value (although ground pork is admittedly fattier than a lot of other lean cuts, but what the hay).

Here's the recipe:

  • 1 lb ground pork (not lean)
  • 2 teaspoons minced chipotle in adobo plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (Oops! Forgot this at the store!  used ground chipotle chili pepper instead)
  • 2 garlic cloves, forced through a garlic press
  • 4 slices Muenster cheese
  • 4 hamburger buns, toasted
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 large tomatillo (1/4 lb), husked and rinsed, then sliced
  • 1/2 small avocado, sliced
  • 1/2 cup cilantro sprigs (we omitted because hubby doesn't like but kinda wished I'd bought some just for myself!) 


We grilled these babies over charcoal on our Weber Performer, melted the Muenster on top and served on a whole wheat bun spread with mayo and topped with avocado slices and tomatillo.  This was also our first experience with tomatillos and we gave them the thumbs up all around (including the kids).

No comments: