Friday, March 12, 2010

Oat Bread

Yesterday I felt like trying out a new bread recipe. I jumped on Allrecipes.com and just searched for "bread", scanning down the page I came across this Oat Bread recipe that had good reviews. Only problem with Allrecipes.com is that almost all their bread recipes are for bread machines. I like to do things a little more traditionally, although I do let my Kitchen-Aid stand mixer do the kneading for me! I've baked enough bread that I figured I could work with the list of ingredients alone, so here's what I did:

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons margarine
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Dissolve brown sugar in warm water (between 105-115 degrees F) in stand mixer bowl fitted with dough hook. Pour over packet of dry yeast and let sit 10 minutes until yeast is foamy. Add melted margerine and salt on stir speed. Add oats and flour, one cup at a time, scraping down sides when necessary until incoporated. Turn to speed 2 and knead for 10 minutes. Remove dough from bowl and butter bowl. Replace dough in bowl and turn to coat with butter. Let rise 1 hour. Punch dough down, cut into 3 sections and form into balls, place dough balls in buttered bread pan and let rise another hour. Beat egg yolk with a couple tablespoons of water and brush bread with wash, sprinkle with oats and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. If you want a softer crust on the top I think a milk wash would be nice with this as well.

This bread turned out great! We ate almost the whole loaf at dinner with our minestrone soup. YUM!

Posted on: www.asimmeringpotandamom.blogspot.com

No comments: